From Deb Heleba, at SARE (Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education):
...Earlier this week, I received a request from a farmer for SARE-funded small-scale poultry resources and I thought you might appreciate them too.
· Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture: https://www.sare.org/resources/profitable-poultry/. Our national SARE bulletin that features farmer experiences plus the latest research in a guide to raising chickens and turkeys using pens, movable fencing and pastures. 2012.
· 21st Century Pastured Poultry: https://northeast.sare.org/resources/21st-century-pastured-poultry/. Farmer Nickhi Carangelo of Letterbox Farm Collective designed this guide as a comprehensive resource for farmers seeking to develop, expand or improve a pastured poultry enterprise. 2019.
· Pastured Poultry Nutrition and Forages: https://www.sare.org/resources/pastured-poultry-nutrition-and-forages/. This publication was prepared by NCAT with SARE funding to explore the important role that forages play in pasture poultry production for either meat or egg production. 2013.
· Remedies for Health Problems of the Organic Laying Flock: https://cdn.sare.org/wp-content/uploads/20171204134731/909063remedies-for-health-problems-of-the-organic-laying-flock.pdf. Farmer Karma Glos of Kingbird Farm published this guide as part of a Farmer Grant (organic farmers should work with their organic certification organization and/or veterinarian on organic health management practices). 2002.
· Niche Poultry Enterprises in New England: A guide for farmers and farm service providers:https://northeast.sare.org/resources/niche-poultry-enterprises-in-new-england/. This guide is the result of work with poultry producers around New England to document their biggest challenges, best practices, and their advice for new poultry farmers. 2014.
· Mobile Poultry Processing Resources. A set of resources was developed as part of a Research and Education grant, “Outreach, training, and education for small-scale poultry producers using MPPUs in Massachusetts”:
o Building an On-Farm Poultry Processing Facility: https://www.sare.org/resources/building-an-on-farm-poultry-processing-facility/. Drawing on their own experiences and those of other poultry processing projects around the country, Sam Anderson* and Jennifer Hashley of the New Entry Sustainable Farming Project put together this comprehensive guide to planning and constructing a mobile poultry processing unit (MPPU) or stationary facility for on-farm poultry processing. 2012.
o Handbook for Small-Scale Poultry Producer-Processors:https://northeast.sare.org/resources/handbook-for-small-scale-poultry-producer-processors/. Jennifer Hashley and Judith Gillan produced this overview of Massachusetts regulations regarding the slaughter of poultry and how that applies to use of a Mobile Poultry Processing Unit. 2012.
o Mobile Poultry Processing Unit Farm and Food Safety Management Guide:https://www.sare.org/resources/mobile-poultry-processing-unit-farm-and-food-safety-management-guide/. Jennifer Hashley and Judith Gillan also prepared this guide for small-scale poultry producers and processors using a Massachusetts-inspected mobile poultry processing unit or stationary on-farm facility. 2012.
Debra Heleba [she/her]
Northeast SARE | University of Vermont
140 Kennedy Drive, Suite 202 | South Burlington, VT 05403
www.northeastsare.org | 802.651.8335 x 552